Dr. Janet Pritchard holds a PhD in Medical Sciences from McMaster University and a BSc in Human Kinetics from the University of Guelph. Her PhD research focused on understanding the impact of type 2 diabetes on bone health in older men and women. Janet also completed a post-doctoral fellowship in the Department of Medicine at McMaster University and St. Peter’s Hospital where she conducted research on fractures, falls and frailty. Janet’s other research interests include clinical practice guideline implementation, and understanding the role of muscle adiposity in physical frailty in older adults. Janet has experience teaching in nursing and midwifery programs at McMaster University and taught Human Development and Aging at the University of Guelph Humber. Janet also brings practical fitness and exercise experience from her time instructing group fitness classes and playing varsity basketball at the University of Guelph.
- Pritchard JM, Giangregorio LM, Atkinson SA, Beattie KA, Inglis D, Ioannidis G, Gerstein H, Punthakee Z, Adachi JD, Papaioannou A. Changes in trabecular bone microarchitecture in postmenopausal women with and without type 2 diabetes: A two year longitudinal study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2013; 14:114.
- Pritchard JM, Papaioannou A, Tomowich C, Giangregorio LM, Atkinson SA, Beattie KA, Adachi JD, DeBeer J, Winemaker M, Avram V, Schwarcz HP. Bone mineralization is elevated and less heterogeneous in adults with type 2 diabetes and osteoarthritis compared to controls with osteoarthritis alone. Bone 2013; 54: 76-82.
- Pritchard JM, Giangregorio LM, Atkinson SA, Beattie KA, Inglis D, Ioannidis G, Punthakee Z, Adachi JD, Papaioannou A. Postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes have larger holes in the trabecular bone at the distal radius compared to controls. Arthritis Care & Research 2012; 64(1): 83-91.
- Fraser LA, Pritchard JM, Ioannidis G, Giangregorio LM, Adachi JD, Papaioannou A, Leslie WD. Clinical risk factors for fracture in diabetes: A matched cohort analysis. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 2011; 14(4): 416-21.
- Papaioannou A, Kennedy CC, Giangregorio L, Ioannidis G, Pritchard JM, Hanley DA, Farrauto L, DeBeer J, Adachi JD. A randomized controlled trial of vitamin D dosing strategies after acute hip fracture: No advantage of loading doses over daily supplementation. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2011, 12:135.
- Pritchard JM, Giangregorio LM, Ioannidis G, Papaioannou A, Adachi JD, Leslie WD. Ankle fractures do not predict osteoporotic fractures in women with or without diabetes. Osteoporosis International 2011; 23(3): 957-62.
- Pritchard JM, Seechurn T, Atkinson SAA. A Food Frequency Questionnaire for the Assessment of Calcium, Vitamin D and Vitamin K: A Pilot Validation Study. Nutrients 2010; 2(8): 805-819.
- Mullen KL, Pritchard J, Ritchie I, Snook LA, Chabowski A, Bonen A, Wright D, Dyck DJ.. Adiponectin resistance precedes the accumulation of skeletal muscle lipids and insulin resistance in high-fat-fed rats. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory, Integrated and Comparative Physiology 2009; 296: R243-251.
- Labuda A, Papaioannou A, Pritchard J, Kennedy CC, DeBeer J, Adachi JD. Prevalence of Osteoporosis in Osteoarthritic Patients Undergoing Total Hip or Total Knee Arthroplasty. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2008; 89: 2373-2374.