On Thursday, June 22, The School of Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism held its 2017 Plenary at Woodbine Racetrack. The gathering was an occasion for HRT faculty and staff to celebrate their accomplishments and hard work over the past academic year. The theme of this year’s Plenary was “Saying Yes,” which was an idea that pervaded the discussions, presentations and speeches throughout the day.
The day began with a staff breakfast and a welcome speech and year-end slideshow from HRT Dean, Susan Somerville. Next, HRT faculty members delivered a series of informative TED Talks on their experiences and insights from the past year. The topics and speakers included:
- “Peru Adventure 2017” presented by Kevin Smith
- “Service Learning in Nunavut” presented by Sherri Branscombe & Leila Kelleher
- “Sustainability” presented by Susan Ratkai
- “Bug - Eat Them Because…” presented by Mark Jachecki
- “Trends in Hospitality and F&B” presented by Kristy Adams