The objective of this program is to provide visiting chefs with experiential learning in Canadian cuisine, while focusing on current trends, local food, sustainability and the ability to explore the Canadian culinary landscape.
On successful completion of this course, the participants will demonstrate:
- Fundamental and advanced culinary preparation and presentation for a variety of food service environments using a range of classical and contemporary techniques.
- Apply knowledge of sustainability, ethical and local food sourcing, and food security to food preparation and kitchen management, recognizing the potential impacts on food production, consumer choice and operations within the service industry.
- Ensure the safe operation of the kitchen and all aspects of food preparation to promote healthy work spaces and the responsible, efficient use of resources.
- Create menu options that reflect knowledge of nutrition and food ingredients, promote general health and well-being, respond to a range of nutritional needs and preferences and address modification for special diets, food allergies and intolerances, as required.
- Apply business principles and recognized industry costing and control practices to food service operations to promote a fiscally responsible operation.